A biometric fingerprint scanner is perfect to be used for either personal or organizational needs. The fingerprint scanner can provide a high level of security. A biometric method is a human physical or behavioral attribute, that can be utilized in a verification or identification scenario to uniquely validate an individual from an entire population. If you want to purchase any fingerprint scanner, several factors are required to be considered.
For starters, you should consider its compatibility with the security system if you have one or are planning to install access control system in your business premises. You should also consider its accuracy, the number of users it can accommodate, its ease of use, and its durability. Additionally, you should make sure that the scanner is secure and compliant with any applicable privacy regulations.
In addition, it is essential to utilize specific types of locks to ensure the security of different areas within your business premises. For instance, when it comes to employees’ lockers, opting for locks for smart lockers can provide enhanced protection for their belongings. Similarly, for outdoor storage areas, use sturdy padlocks, while sensitive areas might require the use of advanced electronic locks. Selecting the appropriate locks for each specific area is paramount as it ensures the appropriate level of security based on the unique requirements of each location.
Among all these locks, the most commonly used will be biometric locks because they are more secure and provide greater convenience. They make use of unique physical characteristics such as fingerprint, voice, or iris recognition to authenticate access. Biometric locks are also becoming increasingly affordable, allowing for greater adoption.
Let’s check each benefit of these lockers in a little more detail:
- Comparisons: Before purchasing the biometric fingerprint scanner, if you make comparisons of the different products provided by different companies then it will ease the selection process. You will get to know the strengths and weaknesses of the different products, and you can even finalize the one that meets all your requirements. You should compare the features and costs of it. You should shortlist the one having reasonable needs.
- Accuracy: It is one of the most significant aspects to assess when selecting a biometric fingerprint scanner. It depends on various criteria comprising false acceptance rate (FAR), false reject rate (FAR), error rate, and additional biometric system standards.
- Temperature: Extremely cold environments risk revealing the skin of the subject and can cause operational problems to the acquisition device. The biometric fingerprint scanner should be structured in such a way that it can withstand long exposures to severely cold temperatures.
The studies state that a fingerprint scanner can operate well even in a cold environment, still, you should check the working of it before choosing any. On the other hand, in the hot temperature with extreme heat, solid-state sensors get extremely hot to touch and hence require a cover to protect from the direct and extended sunlight. Hence, the fingerprint scanner chosen should be durable enough to handle extreme heat.
- Infrastructure assessment: It is necessary to consider the environment in which the biometric fingerprint scanner is to be installed. For grating environments such as wet or humid conditions, the systems are required to be rugged. Hence, it is crucial to carry out an infrastructure assessment and then make an assortment for a fingerprint scanner.
- Select the one that can provide the safety you need: If you want maximum security, then you can select a high-tech fingerprint lock. Those with bad intentions would not be able to trespass into your facility or residence since their fingerprints would not allow them access. For good measure, you could also install a number keypad with the scanner. As seen often on storage units, the keypads offered by companies like spider door could be accessed through your phone, so you could be notified through text in case there is an intruder trying to make an illegal entry. If just one tech can be so effective, imagine how the combination of the two can benefit you — keypad and biometrics.
- Cost-effectiveness: Price is a significant element to consider when selecting the best and most effective fingerprint scanner. Based on the underlying innovation and hardware features, a certain fingerprint scanner might be cost-effective than others. It is vital to recognize that an initial investment in fingerprint scanners can and is quite often recovered in a short amount of time to achieve a quick return on investment (ROI).
- Hygiene: Biometric devices that need contact are also a crucial factor to consider before any selection. For example, organizations that use fingerprint scanners need contact to be made. However, you should know that touching a fingerprint scanner is no more dangerous than touching a doorknob.
These are a few things to consider before choosing a biometric fingerprint scanner. You should check the accuracy, cost, and carry out an infrastructure assessment to check whether the fingerprint scanner can operate at different temperatures and then buy your biometric fingerprint scanner.